Yowie. I spent most of the day with my Grandma on Monday. Somehow, communication lines broke down with the pharmaceutical nurse at Providence. I took my grandma there for her checkup because she's on coumadin for a blood clot. Her medication has to be monitored. What was only suppose to be about an hour experience ended up being about 6 hours of waiting, and 'clinic-hopping'. The nurse at our first appointment told me to have a doctor look at grandma's leg because it look 'suspicious' because of swelling. This all turned out to be one of those experiences where it took a lot of alternate routes to finally reach our appropriate destination.
Anyway, after we finally arrived where grandma could be received the diagnosis was pretty much we all knew...she had a blood clot in her left leg and another in her right. Emily was my saving grace in both helping me get wheel chairs at the clinics as well as entertain myself in the wait with conversation and observational comments of other patients waiting in the emergency room of Providence Hospital.
My favorite is the guy with his hand holding a somewhat bloody cloth on top of his head with a ruler sticking out...don't worry, he was chuckling with his buddy...I wanted the story on how in the world that happened.
My step-dad had a really bad accident in Washington and today he being transported by ambulance from Seattle to Portland. $$$!
He's going to be at a care facility to get rehabilitation. His head injuries have caused him to have stroke like results. He can't use or even feel most of his left leg or foot. He has short-term memory loss, and he is able to concentrate well enough even to look at a magazine very well.
My mom's stress level was at an all time high yesterday as she was working out details with insurance, etc for this move. She is a bit scared and sad about Rusty needing to be at a assisted-living environment. Her expectations were for me to jump in and help her to prepare his room to make it more comfortable before he arrives.
I absolutely knew I wasn't going to be able to do that today. Sunday (I didn't even talk about that) and Monday were two solid days of trouble-shooting...I just knew I couldn't extend that into a third day with my mom. Her frustrations, fears or whatever sort of spilled over on to me; but I don't feel guilty for knowing what's best for me today.
I'm in new territory here, I think. My mom having to sort through all her feelings about her husband at 81 with a disability and no future paycheck. She relies on Paul and I the most for emotional support.

- I'll do the best I can but May is a huge month for me.
** I'm looking forward to my trip to help my sister with the Holt auction.
** I'm finishing my last class of my graphic design degree.
** Paul and I are driving to L.A. with Emmy, to help her get settled there for her Disney internship.
How do I tell my Mom who is in crisis mode that I can't give her as much time and energy as she would like from me?
It will work out, I know. My Mom does respect my decisions.
After 51, I'm actually pretty good at this by now.
1 comment:
Please don't comment on the time of the morning that I am leaving this message. YUCK! I have been dealing with the auction and the show and I am just unable to calm down. I am so sorry about the things seemingly swirling around you. You will be A-okay! I am looking forward to seeing you too! Do you want a vegetarian meal? Is Emmy coming to the auction, or is she going to help set up and then head out?
Post a Comment