7.28.2007


I'm going to set the record straight...

I've definitely had my ups and downs with Em sticking with Caleb. They've been together now for about 3 and a half years. They've been best friends. They've stuck by each other through thick and thin.

And as a Mom I've worried about it. Not ever having gone down this avenue with Emily has brought on lots of emotions to explore. I guess Paul and I have also stuck with Em and Caleb through thick and thin. That's because it's more important to us to have a strong, emotionally healthy relationship with Em (and Caleb) over doing sort of a power trip on them.
Sure, I've aired my feelings with some of my family and friends. I've wondered if Em was going the right direction by continuing on with Caleb. Some of my worries have been because I guess I'm like a lot of moms that don't think any guy is good enough for their princess. Some of my worries have come from my expectations of what I had hoped Emily would choose to do or be. Even what I have hoped Caleb would do or be. These expectations have seeped into my walk of faith and left it stagnant. It's made me just want my way and that's just not been right. My prayers for them have not been out of love but out of wanting God to control the situation like I would want him to. So glad I'm not God.
ANYWAY-since I know that my readers care about Em very much I am being bold and writing this all down for you.
This is what my blog today is really about.


First off...

With Em being home a lot and getting her online classes completed we've had a lot of opportunities to talk. She has been very good at listening to my concerns about moving to Nevada to be closer to Caleb. She's let me ramble on. She's let me be truthful with her about my concerns. She's done well at giving me feedback. Because of those discussions I truly do find myself more assured that she'll be fine moving to Nevada.


Second...

Emily really does need to move away from home. There's lots of life lessons she'd like to learn. Having her own little place and paying her own bills is a good start. She's moving to a town that she's doesn't blend well in. I think that's one of the things Caleb likes about her. Without exaggeration, she one of the only girls around there that would be seen in a skirt, makeup, hairstyle. I think that says something about where Em is at in her character; she's willing to move to Fallon, Nevada to be closer to Caleb even though she pretty much dislikes the town. There's also another reason she's moving there-she wants to be a support to Caleb's family. Dakota, Caleb's brother has a critical spinal disease. He's 17, and if he doesn't get surgery soon he will eventually die because his ribcage will puncture vital organs. Em wants to be closer so that she can help Dakota out while he's recovering.

Third...
Caleb has a lot of good characteristics. I'm sorry I have not talked about them more.

He is an awesome guy to have helping with anything. He doesn't finish until the job is done. He makes a great member on a leadership team when he's helped at church or camp.

He realizes he has weaknesses and skills that he needs to work on. He knows he's not ready for the serious step marriage for awhile.


He has a good sense of humor.

He likes to meet new people, and friendly and polite to our friends.


He is respectful of authority or those who are his elders.


He is close to his family and extended family who all work together.


He is a work in progress (like all of us). He reminds me of when I was 21, and all the stuff I was trying to sort out with life.


He is someone who needs people like me to show him support, encourage him and believe in him. I guess grace is what I'm talking about.







2 comments:

eddygirl said...

Thank you mom for letting everyone know the truth about Caleb and I. I really want people to like him and see what I see in him. . Cuz I am going to be with him for a while. So they better get use to him being around.
Than you mama

Anonymous said...

I've always like Caleb, and still do. He has a big heart and I know that he has only the best intentions for he and Emily. I'm glad that he is not ready for the marriage thing. This shows me that he wants to do things right. Emmy moving to Falon reminds me of Lisa moving to Hooterville for Oliver:) She will be making a huge sacrifice all for love. Wow, what does that say about her character!!! She has my support and prayers. Thank you, Julie for sharing your feelings about their relationship. I'm taking it all in for when my girls get older.