9.08.2008

Two steps forward and one step back

I'm into my 4th week of treatment at the Fibromyalgia Clinic. I'm feeling pretty cruddy, which means I'm getting better. Contradicting as it sounds, the I'V's and medication need to do their job to get rid of the two virus' in my blood. I'm also taking a truck load of meds and supplements to correct the other kinks in my system. Dr. VosLoo told me he was sorry I had to go through this as part of my treatment but to hold on. He told me in another month I should begin feeling better. I'm not complaining, I'm saying it like it is.
When my family and I went to Mexico the first time in 1997, we had to take trip that was very long, hot and curvy. We had a driver from the church come pick us up in a big van with no seat belts or air conditioning. We didn't pack any food and hardly any water. The trip was uncomfortable but because we had never been to Mexico and we were excited about it, we kept a positive attitude. When we arrived at our destination, it was a wonderful little town with a name that escapes me now. The uncomfortable trip took us to a quaint Mexican village where we gain many wonderful memories. The trip experience was very much worth the destination.
It's best if I look at all the discomfort of the present as the trip that's leading me to a wonderful place in my life; where I will be able to hike and kayak with Paul, pursue my artistic ambitions with enthusiasm and dedication, and spend feel strong to not miss out on activities with friends and family.
I'm just like anyone else that's been on a bumpy ride. We all have a decision to make on how we handle the trip. Do I want to make the other passengers wish they weren't on this trip with me? Do I want to get to my destination with sort of a cynical, 'Well, it's about time you got me here!" No. For me and most people, bumpy rides come in all lengths of time and terrain; they take up a lot of what living is all about.
To all my readers, thank you for continuing to read even though I really over-used that road/rider/travel metaphor.

4 comments:

joykos said...

Hey there. I enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for sharing your story. I have been recently involved in a fibromyalgia research study, which I feel has been helpful. I know there are so many new research studies and treatment techniques. I am really interested in hearing more about your month ahead. I think about you sometimes when I go through my own bumpy rides. I hope you and your family are able to grow through this, and that you experience relief. Miss you guys!
-Joy Martin

Julie Ann Duris said...

Nice to hear from you, Joy.
There is another clinic like I am going to in Seattle if you interested.
The website where I found the clinic I go to is:
www.fibroandfatigue.com has alot of other advice and resources you can find, even if you weren't interested in visiting.

joykos said...

Thanks! I will definitely check it out!

AMY said...

Hey! Where's the pic of your hair?