
Stink'in Think'in
When the girls were kids and they'd get cranky or negative I'd tell them to stop having 'stink'in think'in'. I've been studying the effects of our thoughts on our body and soul this past month...the body-mind-soul connection. Taught in simple, layman's terms, Dr. Caroline Leaf has written a non-exhaustive book of instruction about how the brain functions and how the body reacts to our thought lives as well as uncontrolled stimuli such as emotional trauma. Some of this info wasn't new to me, but most of it tapped me gently but firmly on the shoulder. My stink'in think'in needs to be replaced.
So, instead of jumping directly into my new class I need to jumping into-I'm going to take the next 15 minutes or so to log some information I think could be useful to others.
I have to admit through some journaling and reading this book I too am still carrying around that annoying perfectionist problem. I thought I had it under control, but nope...it's just coming out in different ways. AND-part of the problem of perfection is I like to have things under control...people, situations, yada yada. The more a person leans on being a perfectionist the more they want to have control. I have to recommend giving up areas where you want control over. Sometimes they are hard to spot. I've had to think about where I have gotten frustrated, fearful, anxious...that's where I've wanted control. That's where I've had to give stuff up and trust the Lord and not myself.
For me, it feels really good to put myself in my place...which is a non-perfect person who doesn't really have any ability to control anything. Trust. Believe. Hope. Pray.
This is taken right from the book, "Who switched off my brain?"
Along with perfectionism are three statements I'm doing away with...
1. I must do well. 2. You must treat me well. 3. The world must be easy.
'Demanding unrealistic performance from yourself and others puts your mind and body in stress mode and thus has a negative effect on your health.'
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gosh, my Father God doesn't do that...demand unrealistic performance from me or others-why do I?
Oh, yeah-that's right! It's because I'm not perfect. I'm a 5 and you're a 5 and God's a 10!
I'm so grateful that the Lord loves me not based on the rules and conditions humans have come up with. I'm so grateful the Lord's love isn't based on any performance standards. I'm so grateful I have a model of love from the Father that I can live by and that can change me...my mind,soul and body.
2 comments:
This is just a test...
Great post sissy. J and I were just talking about our brains today, and how we are really good at holding onto things that happened to us or things that we did that were negative. We have decided to make sure we "kick those ideas to the curb" whenever they try to creep back in. Our minds play such a big role in how we deal with life. I was just talking with my doctor yesterday about the prayer time we had on Monday night before my surgery. She said that as a doctor she can see the difference between patients bathed in prayer and those that come in anxious and filled with doubt. Those patients that she sees that are filled with peace through prayer feel less pain and have a shorter recovery time.
Post a Comment